Passive Security Works
Here a few easy and inexpensive things you can do right away:
1. Get a BEWARE OF DOG sign - even if you don't have a dog! Home Depot sells the signs.
2. Get a security alarm sign. Best case is you already have a home security system installed, in which case a sign comes with the installation. If you don't have a security system, you can still purchase a sign online.
3. Add motion activated lights to exterior of home. You can get them on Amazon. I like the solar powered ones.
4. Grow thorny bushes around the windows.
5. Use motion sensitive cameras to keep an eye on the outside. I like the Nest cameras. Regardless of where I am in the world, my smart phone shows me what's happening outside my home. It even alerted me when the cat escaped!